How To Properly Use Hand Sanitizers
Ever since the lockdown began, we have been told two things—wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds and always use hand sanitizer. While we are all pros at handwashing now, when it comes to hand sanitizers, people still don't know the right way to use it. If you thought it's just squeezing a drop on your palms and rubbing them frantically, well, you're wrong! There is a correct way to use hand sanitizer for it to be effective and we're going to show you how.
If you’ve run out of hand sanitizer or can’t find a store that sells them, don’t worry, as part of the myglammCARES initiative, we’ve released a new line of sanitizing products called WIPEOUT which include WIPEOUT Hand Sanitizers. We're giving it away FREE with the purchase of any WIPEOUT product.
First, you need to understand the purpose of hand sanitizer and when you should and shouldn’t use it.
When Should You Use Hand Sanitizers?
1. When there’s no water and soap available. For example, exiting or entering a car or after touching public railings & handles.
2. After washing your hands with soap and water, you can use hand sanitizer to disinfect them and add an extra layer of protection.
3. Immediately before & after visiting someone who is sick. Once you step out of the room, make sure to disinfect your hands with hand sanitizer.
When Not To Use Hand Sanitizer?
1. Do not use hand sanitizer after touching toxic chemicals, pesticides, and heavy metals. Hand sanitizers help kill germs. If you’ve been using harsh chemicals, you should first, always wash your hands with soap and water.
2. Hands sanitizer can never replace handwashing, so if you have an option between handwashing or hand sanitizing, always pick the former.
3. If your hands are too dirty or greasy, wash your hands first. Only using hand sanitizer is not going to be effective.
What Is The Right Procedure For Applying Hand Sanitizer?
Most of us are guilty of squirting a bit of hand sanitizer on our hands and doing a little clap while some even wipe away the excess. It’s time you stop doing this and learn how to apply hand sanitizer the right way.
1. If you’ve touched harsh chemicals or have greasy hands, wash them with soap and water.
2. Squeeze a drop of hand sanitizer on one hand.
3. Rub both hands together, making sure you cover the front and back with sanitizer and even go in between your fingers.
4. Do this for 30 seconds until all the hand sanitizer is absorbed and your hands are completely dry. If there is still excess, do not wipe it off, just let it air dry.
And there you go, four simple steps that will help get rid of germs on your hands and keep you safe.