Stepping out without sunscreen in summers can be the worst decision ever. And not just summers, sunscreens help protect your skin throughout the year, be it any season. Because who wants to deal with sunburns, wrinkles and acne, that are usually caused from the long sun exposure? Therefore, it’s best to cover your entire face and body with a high protective sunscreen. Here’s listing the 9 spots on your face that you’re forgetting to apply sunscreen on:
1. Corners of the eyes: Though you’re applying sunscreen on your face before stepping out in the scorching heat, are you also applying on the corners of your eyes? If the answer is no, then you’re missing out on a very important spot because free radicals generated from sun exposure break down elastin and collagen, causing wrinkles around and underneath the eyes.
2. Upper hairline: When it comes to protecting your face from the harmful rays of the sun, especially in the humid months, very few of us remember the hairline. However, you need to make it a point to apply sunscreen along the line of your hair to avoid any sun damage.
3. Skin under the nostrils: People often tend to either skip or speed over their nose while applying sunscreen on the face. But, did you know? 80 percent of skin cancer cases that have been treated are on the nose. Shocking, isn’t it? Now that you know how important this spot is, never ever miss out on this one!
4. Neck: The neck is a common site for all types of skin cancer and should be well protected, not just in summers, but all the times when outdoors. Scarves, turtlenecks, jackets or sweaters draped around the neck can help protect the neck from sunburns in winters, but in summers, it is ideal to quickly spray or swipe on some sunscreen to be on the safe side.
5. Lips: Burnt and chapped lips is the last thing that you want to deal with, this summer. Before wearing a lipstick, it’s best to apply a layer of sunscreen to protect your lips from dryness and sunburns.
6. Top of ears: Did you know? A lot of instances of skin cancer occur on the ears. Therefore, make sure you apply sunscreen on this often-neglected spot regularly before stepping out in the scorching heat.
7. Lower eyelids: Eyelids being one of the most delicate and sensitive areas of our face, do not forget to apply sunscreen on the area before heading out. In order to avoid any type of chemical reaction, opt for the stick-type sunscreens having a waxy texture.
8. Creases of the nose: Prolonged exposure to sun may cause rough, scaly patches on your face especially, on the area around your nose. If untreated, they can develop into squamous cell carcinoma, which is the second most common type of skin cancer. To avoid any such serious situations, make sure that the next time you’re applying sunscreen, you don’t miss out on this sensitive area.
9. Between upper lip and nose: Apply sunscreen regularly on the area between your upper lip and nose apart from the rest of your face. Sun exposure may cause dark spots on this area or make existing ones worse. Use a sunscreen that’s SPF 30 or higher for the best protection.
If you think we’re missing out on mentioning an important spot that’s often neglected, tell us in the comments below!